Wednesday, January 13, 2016

September 14th Travel day from Vienna. Last Vienna blog :(


September 14th, 2015

Rebecca and I got up at 5:00am. I finished putting away things I had used that morning and I also Skyped with my family for the last time in Vienna. I had enjoyed every opportunity to be able to talk with my family every morning and night that week. I can’t believe that our team was in Vienna for only one week! The time went by so quickly. Mrs. Porter assigned a journal day to each person and Rebecca and I were assigned Saturday for our journal day. We wrapped up our journal day and headed downstairs to the lobby. The hotel had prepared sack breakfasts for each choir member. How considerate of the hotel to do that for us!. As our choir loaded the bus we all said our farewells to Jackson and his mom. They have family who live in Europe so they were going to stay an extra week.

 We had a great drive to the airport. The sun was just rising and we were all in good spirits (well most of us, some of the girls got sick on the trip.) We arrived to the airport on time, checked in, went through security, and headed to the plane. The flight was long and tiring, but it was very encouraging to think that I was going to be home soon and see my family. This trip has reminded me how comfortable Americans are. We have everything there at our fingertips and yet we often complain how we don’t have such and such when there are people across the world that don’t even know where there next meal is coming from. I am so comfortable in America and when I went to Vienna, I felt a little nervous; even though Vienna technically isn’t really a “third world country.” I was having bitter sweet moments on the plane. I was excited to see my family and be in my home again and yet it was sad to leave Vienna because that was where my first missions trip happened. We all have created wonderful memories together and have grown so close to each other. I really do hope that we made an impact in Vienna-whether on the streets when we sang, at the festival with our listeners, but especially with the refugees who needed a cheery distraction from their difficulties of life.

 Once we were seated in the airplane and we started taking off, the screen in front of me showed a map. I located where Israel was and I couldn’t believe how close I was to Israel, and yet I still wasn’t able to go. Lord willing someday I will be able to make my dream come true and go to the Land of Israel.  I watched a couple of movies on the plane, slept, read, I wrote in my journal, ate yummy snacks/dinner, listened to music, and talked with my friends. I sat in the same row with Mrs. Ellison, and Emma #1 which was fun because they were watching Newsies, so I was able to watch a little with them. ;)

 When we were flying through a little chunk of Canada about to enter America, we all had to fill out a U.S. customs and Border Protection… my first one ever to fill out. When we landed in Chicago, Illinois I had a terrible headache. That wasn’t fun at all, but thankfully my dear friend Kira let me lean on her shoulder. We all loaded off the large Austrian airplane, walked through a large tunnel, and came to a long line. We waited in the line for maybe 30-45 minutes and finally came to some Kiosks. I had no idea what to do, all I knew was that they were for customs border check. I just followed the directions and went over to help some of my other choir members after I was finished. After we were all done, we then waited in another line to show our Border Protection slips. We all went through safely and then collected our luggage. We all dropped off our luggage to a check-in-desk, went through security again, and then I called my parents to let them know that I was back in the states safely. We talked for a while and they were glad to hear that I had arrived safely. I am giving a play by play but I am hoping this will help others who have never traveled to and from internationally but may do so in the future.

Kira, Emma #1, and I all bought yummy kettle and cheddar popcorn from the famous popcorn shop: Garret Popcorn! I bought a sandwich for dinner and we boarded our plane to go home after our five hour lay over in Chicago. I sat 12 rows in front of the rest of my choir which felt really nice to be by myself because I wasn’t feeling that well. I was able to have a nice journal time, eat, and sleep. 30 minutes before landing in Denver I felt like I was going to throw up so I distracted myself by looking out the window at the beautiful clouds that were colored pink and blue because the sun was starting to go down. I looked over to the lady on my left and she was doing videography on her computer. I asked her about her business and she was telling me all about it. She was an extremely nice lady and she was going to Colorado for a business trip from Ireland. She asked me how to get to some places in Colorado so I was able to give her some directions. It was fascinating to meet her and be a witness as well.

 I went off the plane, waited for the rest of the group to catch up with me and then I headed to the restroom to freshen up and see if I could start feeling a little better. I felt a little better afterwards. We all then headed up the escalator and as we reached the top. There was my wonderful family waving a welcome home sign with big smiles on their faces!!! It was SO sweet of them to do that for me and show that kind of love. I felt really special and missed. It was great to see them all finally and give each of them hugs. It was much better seeing them in person rather than talking over Skype. I have never been away from my family that long and I had really missed them.

 We headed to pick up my luggage, said goodbye to all of my choir members and Mrs. Porter, and then we headed out. It was so weird to say goodbye to everyone because we had spent so much time with each other. We all have been through so much together, seen so much, and being together a whole week it kind of felt like we were a mini family. :) My family and I picked up chick-fil-a for dinner on our way home because I was really hungry but I didn’t want much food with not feeling well. While eating dinner, I shared some stories from the trip. I honestly didn’t feel like I was gone for a week and I didn’t even feel like I had just been across the world.

 I can not thank God enough for the opportunity to be able to go to Vienna to sing and share about His truth, word, love, mercy, and forgiveness. If you were one of my prayer and/or financial supporters I thank you again with all my heart for your part in my being able to go. May Father bless you. It was an amazing journey and experience. I keep thanking God for the opportunity that He gave us to sing to the refugees, people on the street, different schools, in Cathedrals, and sing to people from all over the world. His faithfulness and love is just amazing and I was able to experience even more of it on this trip. I pray that He will show us all where to go next and that He will continue to keep building us each up. I want to travel the world, serve Him, and share about His love. I look forward to the future to see what He has planned. As Mrs. Porter was sharing and inspired me one day, “We can see the sights, or we can be the sights.” Let’s keep all of our eyes wide open and listen to what He wants us to do next for our Abba Father.

 
                                                     Mark 16:15, “And He said to them:

Go into all the world and proclaim the

Gospel to the whole creation.” NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment